<$BlogRSDURL$>
Sarah's Travel Blog
Monday, May 10, 2004
 
Greetings from Mozambique!!! I decided to come here from Swaziland because everyone recommended it, and it is really nice. I decided that I needed to come here instead of South Africa, because S.A. is really stressful due to racial tensions, and I didn't feel like being around that anymore. SO, I went to a beach resort in Mozambique, and I am going to park my butt on the beach for a few days at $7 a night in a town called Tofo at a place called Fatimas. There is great diving here, so tomorrow, I'm going diving, and I hope to see whale sharks!!!!! p.s. whale sharks have no teeth. Maputo was exactly like I pictured it would be. If the dirtiest part of New York mated with the most run down section of latin america and there was a portugese sailor theme, you would have Maputo. Yesterday, my Aussie bus driver took me to an abandoned 110 room hotel for a tour that he has dreams about fixing up, and the place was like a five star hotel from the 60s that was just left to rot since the war started. There was still beer in the fridge! After that, we had lunch and made our way to tofo. All of the minibuses from town that had left earlier that morning broke down, and we passed them one by one on the road, passengers stranded until morning in the middle of nowhere. This is Mozambique, in the middle of nowhere there are land mine fields. Needless to say, I am glad that I paid the extra $23 to take a private bus. People here are really nice, and I can get around fine using my spanish as it is so similar to Portugese. I have to stay here until Friday when the private bus comes back, so that I won't get stuck in some mine field. Oh darn...I hate getting stuck at the beach for a week. Also, They have the best and freshest seafood here I have ever eaten. Plus they cook everything in butter and lots of garlic. Oh darn again! Anyway, I plan to spend next weekend in Swaziland, home of the nicest people in the world, and some of the most beautiful scenery, then I'm going to Durban, and down the coast of South Africa until I have to return to Johannesburg on the 20th to catch my flight to Malawi on the 21st. I will be in Malawi for the weekend to go bug hunting with an entomolgist that is a friend of Marcs, then off to Nairobi. I hope that you had a wonderful mothers day, and I am quite well, and I miss you all. Love, Sarah

Powered by Blogger